SailNet Community - View Single Post - Should I believe my sailmaker?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Should I believe my sailmaker?

I've been struggling with the question of what size roller furling headsail to put on my Formosa 41. Sailmakers have recommended 110% all the way up to 140% with a staysail added on a separate stay.

So far all the sailmakers are telling me the same story that you can, with a foam luff, reduce the sail area of the sail by 25-30% and I've been basing my numbers on that.

My local (well respected) Neil Pryde rep claims that you can reef down the area of his sails by 50% and still maintain windward shape. I asked him about this directly and he said that Neil Pryde invented the multi-track foam and everyone else has tried (with less success) to copy it.

Should I believe him? If he's right I can have a larger sail for light air and still have it well reefed for heavy air all in one sail. Of course, compared even to some of the legendary sailmakers in the area it sounds too good to be true.

Thoughts?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook