SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacement sails - Hood''s Vektran
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003

paulmcquillan is on a distinguished road
Replacement sails - Hood''''s Vektran

May 2004 - We found a nice fix after doing much homework and talking to others who had recent sail changes. Posted details at the end of this thread...
-----
I find my self with a dilemma as to which sail to replace first and with what type:
-- want to replace the main sail which is of indeterminate age;
-- but I''m beginning to think my best dacron jib is under sized at 112%.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have any experience with Hood''s woven Vektran sails? Hood says performance is on a par with large laminate sails. Hood also claims to have never replaced one yet since they started shipping in 1992 (all still in service). Construction is woven, with low stretch Vectran threads buried for UV protection in Dacron? They are suggesting 7.7 oz material for main or jib on N41 (or 9 oz if straight Dacron). Hood uses 9 oz Vektan on the BT Global Challenge boats.

2. Whose sails/construction/cloth weight are other N41 owners using?

3. If you had to pick one of the two sails to replace, which would you do first?

4. Anyone shifted from a high cut yankee (clew 7'' off deck) to a lower cut sail of the similar size? What performance differential did you get?

Goals: club racing, durability, and manageable performance for family on roller furler. (Yeah, I know it''s heavily conflicted). Maybe put a new jib up for the bigger crew/lighter winds during summer racing, and put the 112% back up for winter. Boat is a Newport 41

Thanks
Paul
s/v Walkabout
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook