SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ranger 33 to an Ericson 34?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003

BillWorsley is on a distinguished road
Ranger 33 to an Ericson 34?

I am the third owner of a 1987 Ericson 34-2 hull # 224 that I cruise on Lake Pontchartrain and the Gulf coast. Previously, I owned a 1974 Ranger 29 that I raced. You will greatly enjoy all aspects of the Ericson 34.

There are two models of the Ericson 34. The older one, called 34T, was made in the 70s and early 80s. It has the pinched IOR stern and would be difficult to add davits. The later model, 34-2 or 34, was made by Ericson from the early 80s to early 90s - much wider stern. In ''89 - 91 or so most all the Ericson hulls were made in Mexico and seem to be more subject to blisters. I have had no blister problems with mine. Pacific Seacraft started making 3 Ericson models(the 32 as a PSC 330, the 34 as the PSC 350 and the 38 as the PSC 380) in about 1992. PSC no longer makes any Ericsons.

FYI - the Ericson 35-3 has essentially the same hull specs/dimensions as the Ericson 34 but the interior layout is different. The 35 is a 2-cabin layout with forward head and v-berth as master; whereas, the 34 has the aft head and aft cabin as master.

The Ericson 34 does not have a skeg hung rudder - it is spade. My 34 has the 6''2" draft and rates 126 PHRF. The shoal draft is 4''11" and rates about 132. I think your Ranger rates about 156. I have had no problems with the ss keel bolts or the teak and holly sole. Only problem I have had is mast leak(runs directly to bilge) which is common for most all keel stepped masts.

Ericson owners have a website:
http://www.ericsonyachts.com/
Under "owners/yacht registry" you can find about 10 E-34 owners and their e-mails.

There are several E-34s listed on yachtworld.com from 1987 to 1990 listed at 60K to 80K. The pictures will illustrate the excellent interior craftsmanship and joinery work.

Another good resource is the Ericson site sponsored by Sailnet.com. You may want to join if you have more questions in general.

If you wish to discuss further, please contact me off line.

Where are you located?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook