SailNet Community - View Single Post - Many questions
Thread: Many questions
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003

rlockard is on a distinguished road
Many questions

I have been thinking about this for a long time. Selling my house and airplane (48’ Navion A) and buying a 36’+ sailboat to live aboard. My experience is limited to a couple of sailing classes and occasionally renting a boat to sail in the Chesapeake Bay, never more then a day at a time.

When I think about the boat I want to live on, several things come to mind, not the least of it is the size and seaworthiness. For the size, I’m leaning to 36’ to 40’. This would give me some room to live on. I was on a 36’ Catalina not too long ago and the thing that surprised me the most was, I am able to stand up straight in it. (I’m 6’3”) Another thing that comes to mind is, can I sail it by myself? My goal with this is not to just live on it, but sail it to the Caribbean to stay during the winter months. Summer months will most likely be spent in Virginia or Florida.

One of the big issues that come to mind is getting the experience needed to deal with weather, rough seas and singlehanded sailing. I believe that to start, I won’t venture too far where I could get in trouble and be able to tie up / anchor at night for rest. Perhaps the first year stick to the Florida Keys.

Maybe if I get froggy, and want to head south to Grand Cayman or to the Bahamas, I’ll get someone experienced to crew and learn from them.

What should I carry on board, besides food, cloths and some tools? Is there a “list” of spare parts that should be carried?

How much cash should I carry on the boat with me? Or how much cash should I have access to for three to six months? I was also thinking about hooking up with a dive shop and teaching scuba diving / being a dive master. I don’t won’t to get too bored.

How do you deal with mail forwarding?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook