SailNet Community - View Single Post - Propeller position?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008

ereuter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne57301 View Post
Wow Eric, that bottom looks great, nice job.
Thanks. I had it soda blasted, but it was still a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne57301 View Post
Mark the coupler between the shaft and the transmission with white paint. A line fore/aft on top of the coupler when the prop is vertical, two lines for either blade up.

Here's the big tip. You can see the coupler if you take the bottom out of the top step (use a flashlight). Make a little tool to turn the engine over using the pin in the middle of the flywheel (the thing you would use to manually start the A4). The tool I have is a couple of pieces of (3/4" ?)pipe connected with a 90 degree elbow. Use a hacksaw to cut a couple of notches in the end of one of the pipes. Now you can leave the engine in gear, look over the top of the engine at the coupler, turn the engine over by hand until the white line is on top. Prop centered. (really helps with the folding prop)
That's good to know. I currently have all the paneling out of the quarter berth because I've been doing work on the engine. I'd been wondering how I'd know where the shaft was. So you've eliminated the floor to the little storage compartment?

I actually found the original hand crank for the A4 under the port settee. Justin didn't even know it was there. It's rusty, but I've been able to start the motor with it, even with that short throw.

Which folding prop do you have? Have you found that it's worth the hit you take on your PHRF rating?

Thanks-
Eric
"Figment" 1978 Pearson 30 #1083
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook