SailNet Community - View Single Post - At anchor in heavy weather
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 09-23-2003 Thread Starter
At anchor in heavy weather

Silmaril & paulk,

On my 26 footer, I carry a combination chain/rope rode on both of my anchors.I''m familiar with using a snubber, but have never used one on my boat. Last Spring, I got caught in a pretty nasty storm close to the Marquesas.I put out one Delta anchor (chain/rope)and set it with about a 7:1 scope.Then I put out my second anchor (a Danforth) but really wasn''t sure how well it set because the waves were bouncing me around quite a bit by then. Long story short, the boat drug both anchors and I ended up aground on a shoal.I was single-handling,so then things really did get interesting. Anyway, when I read the information about a combination chain/rope supposedly being better to anchor with in a real blow, I had to wonder back to the Marquesas scenario and question whether an all chain rode with a snubber would have made any difference.I think the biggest problem (which I observed later) was that the seabed in that area is covered with a lot of seagrass.In my mind,the Delta dug in, or at least appeared to,but the Danforth never did.When the big waves started hitting me,the Delta broke out under a "snatch load",and then both anchors "skipped" across the seabed until I ultimately ended up aground on a shoal.After reading your comments about using chain with a snubber,I wonder if that would have helped me with the nature of the big waves and all? Food for thought I guess? Thanks for your input.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome