SailNet Community - View Single Post - Attaching Sheet to Jib
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Attaching Sheet to Jib

Even if he gets one continuous line to do both sheets, he''s still going to be able to pass it through the clew eye only once. His options would be to tie a fancy knot in the middle of this line, which would be a pain in the butt, as specially if this sheet is going to be used on multiple sails. Clapping on a seizing would also not be multi-sail friendly. Nope, I think he should stick to tying one sheet to the other or use a snap hook. Iíve always used the snap hook and have never had a problem. Perhaps this is because Iím aware of the potential and take precautions.

As for the line size for sheets, Iíve always liked 3/8-inch on everything above 20 feet to under 40 feet. Itís comfortable in my hand, strong enough for the application. On smaller boats where the weight factor may come into play, I use 5/16-inch minimum. Aboard my Father-in Lawís 44 footer, he was using some krystly ĺ-inch hawser stock! That stuff had to go! We replaced it with Ĺ-inch Dac. And itís much easier to work with.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook