SailNet Community - View Single Post - It can happen
Thread: It can happen
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2003

c172guy is on a distinguished road
It can happen

WOW what a story. My wife hadn''t sailed before we met. It was a hard push to get her to handle the boat at first. Now she can handle most things most of the time. Since she is usually the only other person on our boat my life may depend on her someday. Our biggest problem is that when things get exciting I have trouble communicating to her what to do. If things are happening fast I just don''t have the time to explain. We should probably discuss emergency procedures and plan our actions but it''s hard to anticipate situations.
The last situation was where the roller furling jammed in high winds and shallow water. The sail was flapping wildly and heading into the wind meant a danger of running aground. At first she wanted me to tell her how to steer the boat. But up on the foredeck fighting the genny I had my hands full. Finally she accepted responsibility to keep us off of the bottom and kept us safe while I handled the sail. It was all over in a few minutes and we had a great sail up the bay. A few years ago it might have ended differently.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook