SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big-Trailerables - Tell us your Nightmares!
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
I guess I have been fortunate but people have always been polite do far including some power boat actually backing out and giving some extra room when needed. That said some of the other problems related to keeping the boat int he water that don't surface when the boat is kept on dry land.

A leak starts and you return a week later, after a hard week at work, to find your boat submerged.

A storm comes through and puts your boat on dry land for you or uses it to batter your neighbors boat

Lets not forget the constant maintenance of the bottom, the top and every caulk joint on the boat below or above water. You can't just walk out your back door and do that small repair whenever a free hour pops up.

Limits on where you can go without large outlays of time and often money. I can take a week off and spend the week on the west coast of Florida after a short 3 hour road trip, if you have to sail there you spend the week sailing and who knows what the weather along the way has in store.

Mine is not really all that big so some issues I don't have to worry about like tides at most ramps.

That said my wife would prefer a boat at a mooring for all the reasons originally stated. We will eventually compromise and it keep it rigged up on the trailer at a marina only taking it down for trips to places that there is not time to actually sail there and still have time to enjoy it.