SailNet Community - View Single Post -
Thread:
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2003

dkz is on a distinguished road
While it''s clear that there are lots of variables, I think it *is* really helpful
to get actual dollar figures from people
who have done it, especially when attached to some description of where they cruised, how extravagantly they lived, what size boat, how many people, etc.--that is, correlated to the variables. Too often, people who might know answer the question "how much does it cost" by saying "it depends." (As a culture, we are oddly uncomfortable talking about money.) The answer "this is what we spent and this is how we spent it" is much more helpful as a guideline, and it''s more helpful the more different answers you get.

So I''m grateful (as I plan my cruise--I''m on the five year plan) for the question and to those who were kind enough to answer with dollars and details.

Several years ago, I was reading figures of about $1,000 a month for a couple to live basically but not impoverished... The figures coming in here--closer to $1500?--seem generally consistent with that, given inflation. The problem is, when I sailed for several months in the Pacific, I knew it was only going to be for several months and I had some money, so I was living pretty well. Will I like cruising as much on half the budget? Hmmmm...

dave.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook