SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harder to pull than expected
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
David-

First of all, you should never pull on a line that is run through a self-tailer, as this will abrade the line unnecessarily and shorten its life drastically.

Second, even though you've only gone from a 27' boat to a 30' boat, the size difference is quite a bit more significant. A Catalina 27 standard rig displaces 6400 or so, the Catalina 30 10000, or 66% more. While the 3' doesn't sound like much of a difference, the boat is increasing ind beam (10.83' vs 8.7') and depth as well.

As pointed out previously, the increase in difficulty is pretty much due to the increased sail area. If you reefed the headsail down to the same area as your Catalina 27 had, you'd probably be able to haul in the line without removing it from the self-tailer or using a winch handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Last year I sailed a Catalina 27 this year a Catalina 30.
Last year I noticed I could leave the jib sheet in the self tailing clamp and just pull it and I could pull it in no problem.
On the 30 I have to either take it off the self tailer or put it in the self tailer and use the winch handle.
Same thing for the main sheet. On the 27 I would only use the handle in the heaviest air.

I just had the winches serviced and put on new sheets.
Is this to be expected because it is a bigger boat? Maybe something else is wrong. Blocks seem OK, sheets are clear. Don't know what else to look at.

Frankly the 27 was a lot easier to sail.

The jib is about a 150.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook