SailNet Community - View Single Post - Documents needed to buy a sailboat
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisesq212 View Post
My friend just (this past Saturday) bought a 31 foot Catalina and I am doing the research for him on what he needs so he can male sure it is 'his own'. He has a business in NY and bought it using the business name. He is arranging to rent a slip in CT. I believe the boat is located in RI so he will be buying it there. Pther than insurance, can someone let me know what items he needs to complete to make it officially his?

I assume he needs to register it in CT. He asked me to research documenting the boat with the Coast Guard but I am not sure exactly what he specifically needs to do to get that done. What else should we be working on to make sure this is all done properly?

Thanks for the Boat Buying 101 tutorial.
The boat is probably documented, you should pay a documentation service to handle the transfer paperwork to put the boat in the new buyer's name.

Here's one:
Marine Documentation Incorporated
40 Mary St.
Newport, RI. 02840
(401) 846-2671

You can do it yourself if you want to spend the hours or days figuring out the paperwork and completing forms. See USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Forms Page as a place to start. If by some chance the boat is not documented, then the paperwork just costs more.

The only form needed is the Bill of Sale from from the USCG site.

RI has no sales/use tax but Conneticut does and you will need to pay it, 6%. See DMV: Documents Required for Registration of a Boat for paperwork. I am not familar with the Connecticuty details, I guess you can figure it out here DMV: Frequently Asked Questions on Boat Registrations. In most (if not all) state Federal documentation supercedes state registration, your boat does not have a state regisrtation number, but you go through the part of the process that involves paying the use tax, that makes the state happy. So you can expect to complete the Connecticut tax form.

Last edited by sailingfool; 07-02-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook