SailNet Community - View Single Post -
Thread:
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2003

dkz is on a distinguished road
Wow! 42 days. I''m getting goosebumps just thinking about it. Good luck! If you find yourself with a cash flow problem, email me... I''ll show up on deck with $1,000!

By now, you all have probably seen the latest Cruising World. Cover story:
"How much does it cost?" Basically useful--
in line, I''d say, with the figures here, though they also include the budgets of some more luxurious travellers.

I teach college. I''m hoping to cruise from mid-December to mid-August--destination unknown--probably Caribbean (including, or mostly, western--Belize, Bay Islands), and live cheaply at home while working (Sep. 1 -mid-December)... all for about $20K a year. I''ll be singlehanding part of the time, with a partner (and sometimes her two kids) part of the time (and she''ll add a bit to that $20K budget)... I know I can live very cheaply at home while I teach. If I can get the boat and outfit it beforehand, the figures I''m seeing suggest I can do this (on a small boat--probably under 36 feet--maybe quite a bit under.

That''s the five-year plan. Right now, I want to get a small boat (a 27'' Albin Vega?) and keep it somewhere tropical (east end of Puerto Rico? Florida Keys? Bahamas? Belize/Rio Dulce? Sea of Cortez?) to sail for 4 weeks Dec.-Jan., Spring break, and part of summer (all these places, of course, are in hurricane zones, I know)...

Here''s the question. Does anyone know anything about costs--and the practicality-- of keeping a boat--in the water or out--in any of these places? (The Cruising World article cites marina costs of $150 for two months in the Rio Dulce, about $15/day elsewhere in the Caribbean, more in Panama (but under $10/day in Tahiti!)--the $15/day was for bigger, 40'' boats).

dave.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook