SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ablative Bottom Paint Lifespan
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008
Sailor Dance

jlmarra is on a distinguished road
Ablative Bottom Paint Lifespan

Hello,

Our 1990 Caliber 33 was laid up for over a year for a fuel tank replacement. The boat finally went into the water Saturday.

Before we discovered the leaking tank the bottom was painted last spring with ablative paint. It was to my understanding that ablative paint has a short lifespan out of the water. Well the boat went into the water Saturday and was not painted as requested on our spring checklist. I spoke with the marina owner and his response was that it was painted last spring so it wasn't necessary to do it again since it never went in the water. Hmmm

We purchased the boat about 4 years ago. The previous owner used hard epoxy paint. We've been using ablative at the suggestion of the first boat yard we winter stored at. A section (almost the size of a football) of the hard epoxy had pealed away exposing either a barrier coat or the actual bare hull, couldn't tell, it wasn't shiney (powder blue color). There are a couple of chips that pealed away from the rudder which reveals the same powder blue surface. I wasn't concerned because it was going to get a coating of bottom paint or so I thought. I had inquired last winter about getting the bottom soda blasted to get rid of the epoxy paint and go with ablative, but that fell on deaf ears.

My concern now is if that bare patch is gelcoat will it be okay until the boat comes out of the water in September?

Needless to say I am winter storing the boat at another facility in the off season.

So far I have not had good experiences with 2 yards on Long Islands north shore.

Thanks for your reply.

John

1990 Caliber 33
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook