SailNet Community - View Single Post - Firearms
Thread: Firearms
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Firearms

IslandChief60,

I''m not sure if you are addressing your comments to all of us who replied to your post, but it doesn''t really matter. I take exception to your comment, "... and you are not willing to defend yourself?"

It doesn''t seem to me to be just a simple question of: "Should I take a firearm and have the possibility of defending myself, OR, should I just forget it and hope for the best." I work with weapons all the time (I have designed experimental high rate-of-fire cannons for the US Navy and Army, BTW), so I have a healthy respect for the safety and responsibility aspects of firearms.

From all the cruising info I have read: if you take the gun(s) cruising, you will face the very real possibility every day that you will be boarded by authorities and that for one reason or another, you will wind up in jail for a long time, your boat will be confiscated, or something else very unpleasant. As I said in my last post, the rules favor the criminals.

In the US, citizens using deadly force often say, "better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6." [In case anyone doesn''t get that, it means it''s better to use your gun illegally if necessary and face a jury rather than being carried away in a coffin.]

Decide for yourself what you think the risks are on both sides and act accordingly.

Since I think you mentioned you are in the US military, allow me to thank you for your service to our country.

Regards,
Duane
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook