SailNet Community - View Single Post - Retrofitting a "weekend cruiser/racer" for offshore passagemaking
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Good points, Billy. Consider if you will, another vehicle which has only recently addressed safety issues: The car. You'll find classic Jaguars have rocker switches on the dashboard, because switches that stick out will impale ayone thrown against them. They've done that for a long time. The gear shift knobs on some cars have similarly been designed to be too large to fit into an eye socket--because people in shoulder belts can slide sideways and impact the shift lever with their face. (Mercedez and BMW have been leaders in expensive small thoughts like that.)
Interiors? You won't find hard wood panels or hard plastic on upscale cars, everything is impact-absorbent, to prevent harm if you are thrown against it. or, designed to crumble and absorb impact. But that kind of engineering costs money, and raises prives, and that lowers boat sales. So the tiny percent who want to go out in heavy wx, are left to retrofit on their own. I'd be afraid to ask what it would cost if Mercedes started yacht building.

I grabbed a towel bar in the forward head of a Pearson 424 when it lurched--and was ejected out the head door anyway, towel bar in hand. Ooopsie. Personally, I like a boat with just enough headroom (and a padded overhead) so that when I stand really upright, I can jam my head into the overhead and brace myself in place, even when I can't grab something. And while fiddles on tables are nice--the usual fiddles, and table corners, are NO FUN ON RIBS.

At the risk of looking like a fool...I'd really have to wonder if something like a "pool noodle" made from semi-rigid foam should be used on all kinds of edges, instead of traditional fiddles. Can't be more expensive than ribs are!

Of course, if you get too concerned about safety...you'd stay ashore in a padded rubber room, right?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook