SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bow thruster - theoretizing :)
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Bow thruster - theoretizing :)

Hypothetically speaking, if I had the money, bow thruster would do wonders for docking my boat

Now, installing it would not be technically much of an issue - there is good access and space right where it needs to go.

Electrical installation is another story. There is no way to run appropriately thick cables from where battery banks are to the bow (I barely had space for windlass cables which are a few sizes smaller). Plus, I don't really want to abuse house bank this way, and my starting battery isn't particularly large.

So, what about the installation where there is another battery - something with high cranking amps, sufficient for a few minutes operation of the thruster at a time, sitting upfront next to it? For wiring I could get away with much smaller wires to go from the main bank to the bow to charge this battery. But how could I regulate the power that goes there so that it limits the amps that are going to this battery to what the wiring can support? Ideally an additional automatic regulator/relay/whatever that would charge it at no more than 5-10 amps per hour, regardless of what other banks are doing? Are there devices that could do that out there?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook