SailNet Community - View Single Post - Retrofitting a "weekend cruiser/racer" for offshore passagemaking
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
While Billy's post is excellent in what he observed.

An "I wonder" on my part. Some things, hand holds to me, are a bit on the personal side. While some like hand holds on the ceiling, others like my wife that is barely 5' tall, could not reach them if on the ceiling of this particular boat. So now one comes into something like wdtracey is suggesting, some kind of rail, strap etc that one can lean against/hang onto in rougher conditions that is more hip to waist level in height.

While some of us like to bash production builders on there lack of off shore stuff that some of us would like, One has to wonder, if even if they did supply/incorporate some of these things, if some would still not be complaining about these things being misplaced, ie not where they want to grab etc. To a degree, I personally would prefer to know that they built the hull strong enough to handle the offshore conditions that one might encounter, which I believe the 44.7 is, but as noted, "MOST" buyers of this boat will probably NOT take it offshore, hence for Benateau, probably not worth adding to the base boat. So that leaves it up to the end user, to equip with hand holds etc to meet "THERE" needs. Frankly, I personally would rather set up for where I want to grab on to, vs where they think I should reach to! Give me a well built production model that is able to prep my way, vs a well built boat ready, that is NOT the way I want any day of the week!

Maybe there is where I know unless I custom build a boat like Alex did, one will not get things perfect, out of the box! So I do not expect everything to be perfect, but will make things my way! Anyway, while the 44.7 is not on my list of boats to upgrade to, the smaller 36.7 is, and like other boats of this genre, NONE are perfect out of the box. But reviews like this, help me think about how to make the boat I have/will get better than stock, and or how to improve what I already have.

Marty