SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is this gash fixable?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
About the time that this boat was built, I worked for a company that sold Ventures. My job was commissioning and working on warrantee claims for these boats. These boats were very lightly built using chopped glass construction. Even as comparatively new boats we experienced some problems with the layup. It is a littlebit difficult to tell precisely where that crack occurred, but I have seen issues with these boats where the hull cracked adjacent to and parallel to the centerboard trunk and also near the face of the seat riser. These boats experienced a lot of flexure in this area and over time fatigue and poor contruction techniques take a toll, weaking the laminate in this area. While it can be fixed, properly assessing the extent of the problem and making a proper repair will be difficult.

One minor point, as much as I agree that WEST System offers a great product, I would suggest using MAS epoxy due to its reduced allergenics and reduced amine blush properties.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook