SailNet Community - View Single Post - 6-9mo cruise from Vancouver down Westcoast
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2003

fourknots is on a distinguished road
6-9mo cruise from Vancouver down Westcoast

I left Seattle on Sept 1 which turned out to be a good time. The trip down can be quite an adventure. We stopped in Newport, Oregon and several cities in Cal. since we had a rough go, and made it to San Diego about 6 weeks later. Watch the area from southern Oregon to northern Cal - lots of people have been pasted (including us) by clear-sky gales.

Did some refitting and recovering in SD and left for Ensenada Thanksgiving day. You don''t say how far into Mexico you''re going - if I remember it''s 700 miles to Guatemala - lots of ground there. Cabo is nice, but it''s a looong way with only a couple of stops.

I think the trip back needs to have more time allocated to it - weather windows are critical since you will be fighting prevailing wind and current. I''ve not made the trip back, having continued, but there''s lots of information on the Baja Bash.

It''s certainly do-able in your time-frame, but the biggest error you can make is being rushed into going somewhere when you shouldn''t have.

My kids were a little younger and loved the trip - yours will too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook