SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any guitar players aboard?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
Wow, timing is everything even here on sail net. I've been wanting to take my guitar on board BUT was concerned about humidity and its "ill" effects on my 2nd favorite toy. Spent lots of time trying to figure out a plan to deal with humidity and picked up a neat trick in a cruising magazine.
I bought a couple of 12 volt computer fans at the local radio shack and using some 5200 adhesive glued them into the clam shell vents on the back of my 30 foot Islander. I leave the boat plugged into shore power anyway when I'm away so the 12 volt drain is not a problem AND the humidity and it's associated problems with the woodwork have completely ended. This last weekend my wife even commented about how dry the boat interior is. I've also made a habit of turning the fans on for a little while when we're on board and on the water. 15 minutes or so just to freshen the air in the boat and it has had a miraculous affect. I'm not sure how much air solar vents pull through the boat but in comparison to the boats I know of that have them my computer/vent fans are kicking butt. SO, now I'm ready to bring my guitar on board. I won't be leaving it while I'm away BUT now I'm very confidant that I'll have no humidity associated problems with my guitar while onboard. JAM NIGHT here we come!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook