SailNet Community - View Single Post - How much and what kind of bottom paint...
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
How much and what kind of bottom paint...

I'm about to enter the yard (mumbles prayer) and one thing I'd like to do is get a quick paint job. Lots of the yards (actually all but 2) don't let you paint your own boat anymore! They cite environmental issues, but I doubt that....

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would like to hazard a guess at how much paint it will take to paint my full keeled 30,000lb displacement Formosa 41? I have little experience to go on as my last boat was lapstrake and was a pain to paint and used it up like crazy. I also used a sloughing paint on the last boat which was goopy and thick, thus not going very far.

Also I would love suggestions for paint choices. The boat will remain in puget sound and canada for the next 4 years, after that anywhere. There is a hard (modified epoxy?) on there not which is not a sloughing paint. I have no experience with the hard paints for fiberglass boats and paint is EXPEN$$$IVE now so choice is critical, and I value your input.

Medsailor

PS If anyone has a wooden boat in puget sound I had GREAT experience with Interlux bottomkote. Lasted 4 years with no growth and even on the third and 4th years people would ask if I had painted that season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook