SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do I start?
Thread: How do I start?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2003

pilot2sailor is on a distinguished road
How do I start?

Hello, all. New to the board here. I''ve been employed as an airline pilot for the last 18 years and have recently been bitten by the sailing bug. As of right now, my pilot logbook is full but my sailing resume'' is blank. I would like to change that soon. I live in south Louisiana (not the sailing capital of the US) and would like to know how to get started in sailing. Lessons? Just do it? I know that there will be many opinions on the "right" way to go about this but I am willing to listen to and consider each one.

I live about 2 hrs west of New Orleans and would love to buy my own boat eventually and keep it on Lake Pontchartrain. As it stands now, my longer term goal is coastal cruising with maybe some offshore passagemaking thrown in when my competence allows.

If anyone out there has a boat in the New Orleans area (north or south shore) and needs someone to help out for a daysail, let me know and I''ll be happy to bring the "refreshments".

My ideal situation would be to find someone who is very experienced at sailing and has been bitten by the flying bug (in other words, my opposite). I don''t own my own airplane (you think boats are expensive?) but I would be willing to divulge any and all information I have about aviation. I was a flight instructor years ago and I could probably help you out or at least steer you in the right direction.

Let''s talk!

Phil
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook