SailNet Community - View Single Post - The ratios and other numbers - can someone enlighten me or point me to a resource?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
The ratios and other numbers - can someone enlighten me or point me to a resource?

Preferably an online resource written for the lay person. I don't want to become a boat designer, I just want to understand what numbers/ratios are important, *maybe* how they are caluculated and what the good/bad ranges are. If you want to use my boat as an example (no, I'm not lazy, honest ) the info is below the text.

Most of what I know about my boat is anecdotal. It's mostly positive - I have never found a capsize reported, but have found reports of someone trying to on purpose in high winds and failing. I have communicated with someone who has taken one across the Gulf stream (I am NOT planning to do that). It almost seems too perfect - light weight enough to trailer easily, low draft (under a foot) with the keel up, possibly self righting (here's where I need some numerical help; I have had someone tell me that the first two points make the third one nearly impossible in a cabin/cockpit style boat) with positive flotation. Fairly stable and seems pretty seaworty (but the lack of lifelines or stanchions tells me that the designer (Harry Sindle) really wasn't thinking about ocean sailing. I am about to start (actually I have started but not way into it yet) a fairly major amount of work to fit it out. I have pretty much decided that this is the boat for me for a while. I need some cons to go with my pros and I am guessing some numbers might give me a clearer picture.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook