SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learning to ... sleep?
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 07-08-2008
Gary1

I'm sure there is somewhere that you can rent/charter a sailboat on the Chesapeake. Rent one for a weekend, enjoy a Saturday out daysailing and then head back in to the Marina for the night. Tie the dock lines, grab something to eat and then call it a night.

If you find you can't handle it, you're right next to your car and can go home. Personally, I sleep better on a boat than in any landlocked bed I've ever been in. The typical little noises on a boat (creaking, water slapping the hull) are very peaceful, and sleep inducing to most.

The reason I mention going back to the marina is because if you aren't used to it, sitting at anchor might keep you awake all night. I've been sailing for more years than I like to admit, and I never sleep really well at anchor. There are just too many things to go wrong, and Murphy is always a passenger. Why borrow trouble?

As to the claustrophobia, a girl I dated many years ago suffered from that. We spent a night on the boat (at the marina--there was a barbecue and party that night) and when I woke up at 0600, my usual waking hour, she was curled up in a ball in the cockpit, covered with dew. I asked her why and she explained the boat was too confining.

I had her talk to a psyche friend of mine over drinks that week, and my headshrinker friend said, "Just think about this the next time: You're not closed in a tiny place, you're surrounded by something that is keeping the heat, cold and especially the bugs off of you!" She also offered some other tips: don't crawl into that cozy quarter berth. (Cozy being the operative word!) Don't sleep in a sleeping bag. Don't tuck the top sheets or blankets in. Try and pick a place where you'll see more of the boat than just a bulkhead, hull, and overhead when you open your eyes. Don't spend any more time below than you have to. (Boats shrink. After a two week cruise on a 56 footer, I wondered where the last 20 feet of the boat had gone! For someone who doesn't like confined spaces, being below is the worst of all worlds.

Good luck, and I hope you eventually share in the magic of spending your nights at the boat.

Cap'n Gary
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome