SailNet Community - View Single Post - Georgian Bay Cruising
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
OH, to be an hour and a half from the North Channel!! A couple years ago I drove 18 hours to charter a boat there. I currently drive 40 minutes to be on my boat, and with the current flood condition in the Mississippi we don't even sail; just be on the boat! The river at best is a poor to fair sailing ground, but it's what we have! I have a cousin who used to keep his boat on Kentucky Lake, a 5 hour trip. Arthritis finally forced the sale of his boat. Next year I am retiring and taking our boat to the North Channel. Trust me, if I lived in Toronto I would not hesitate to harbor my boat 2-3 hours away in Georgian Bay. It is not only workable, but delightful, to have the boat far enough away that you stay aboard Friday evening to Sunday evening. Most of us would cheerfully trade a dozen evening sails for a weekend in a much improved sailing ground. The only reasons I can see to stay in a questionable sailing ground is if you are devoted to the club races, or the nearest great sail is far enough away that you must leave after work and drive until midnight.

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RAGTIMEDON; 07-08-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook