I crewed on a friend's QuickStep 21 last October for a Beaufort to Lookout weekend trip that I am contemplating doing in mine this year. It would have been no problem. Could have done it in a Sunfish; the weather was perfect! But I have read trip reports from other outings on that same route that started that way and turned nasty. If weather like that was likely I wouldn't go at all. If it was reasonably possible but not highly likely, I might make the drive down and decide at the ramp between the outside route, the back way (a narrow channel with a lot of traffic) or not going. I would not purposefully decide to go out into high winds and big waves, but I want to be prepared for the possibility of it occassionally happening.
Newport 17 - "Kohanna"
At sea Darwin's hypotheses is the final arbiter of right of way.