SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS Chartplotter
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 10-02-2003 Thread Starter
GPS Chartplotter

I am in the market for a color GPS Chartplotter. I intend to mount outside, near the wheel, and am looking at units with screen sizes in the 5 inch to 7 inch range. Practical Sailor did a helpful review of these types of units a few months ago, which identified a few units that appear to meet my needs, such as the Garmin 182C, Standard Horizon 150/170, Simrad cp33 and Furino 1850W. One of the big decisions is what type of chart will be used. Most of the machines use either C Map or Navionics, while Garmin has its own proprietary Blue Charts. Some have told me that the Blue Chart is the best program on the market at this time, and for this reason, stay with the Garmin unit. One other thing I like about the Garmin is that it is the only unit in this size range that has a built in antenna (one less hole to drill in the boat...)I had seen a Navman unit at a local marine electronics store, and liked the unit, but Practical sailor slammed the unit as having the worst visibility in the bright sunshine. For this reason, I have eliminated this unit. If others have this unit and feel otherwise, please let me know.

Looking for thoughts on the units and the software choices listed above, positive or negative.

Thanks. Jon
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome