SailNet Community - View Single Post - small roll-up inflatable
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Denise you said you have Watertender that always wants to plow? I had one of those once with a 3hp 2cyl 2stroke Johnson on it. It would plane and run like mad with just me in it until it got full of water. I found that they get alot of water in between the hulls from condensation. Try flipping it over on a dock or land and pull the rubber plug thats under the bow. It might help alot.

Sailboy, Seagulls were not made to plane any boat at all. The propeller is a very flat pitch. They were made to be used a larger boats to just push them right along. Ive used one to move a 24' full keel Columbia before.

As for small boats and low horsepower motors, ive found nothing beats the power to size ratio of an early 90's Johnson/Evinrude 3hp motor. They are 2stroke and 2 cylinder. I used one on the back of a 9' Avon hardbottom and it would plane off with 2 people in it. The motors themselves didnt change much from the 50's until the early 90's when they dropped the points. I can tear one down and rebuild the whole thing in about 3 hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook