SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't bring banana-flavoured oatmeal aboard...
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Beckwith is actually more East and West bays. The east side which faces Giants tomb, usually fills up with boats on the weekends. Last summer I counted well over 100 boats anchored on a long weekend. This year I've yet to see anymore than 20 ( gas prices ??? ) and spent Friday of the May long weekend there all by ourselves. ( both sides)

You probably went to the West side, which faces Christian Island, and if you remember the prevailing winds on Georgian Bay are W to NW which meant you were facing right into them. I only go to the East side ( which BTW is our favorite) when the forecast calls for calm or winds from the East. There is another small bay on Christian which faces the east side of Beckwith with 10' sandy bottom, and again watch the winds overnight. We spent one night with NNW winds that the wind held the boat facing NW but the waves were curling in from the open water from the NE and rocking us from side to side ( large ) all night long.

This is the East side facing Giants Tomb.

Last edited by scottbr; 09-10-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook