SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Georgian Bay Cruising

11K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  flandria 
#1 ·
Hi, I am currently keeping my boat in Toronto. This way I can get to the boat and participate in the evening club races. Weekend cruising is not so great. We don't have many islands at west end of Lake Ontario. Going to 1000 at the East End of the Lake Ontario will call for 1-2 week trip which I can only do ones per year.

I was thinking of relocation boat to Georgian Bay which is famous cruising ground. I can sail for 2-3 hours on weekend drop the anchor for the night and come back next day. The draw back is that it is 1.5 hour from Toronto and on busy weekend it may be 3 hour drive. So evening sails are out of question but I can still crue at my club and do cruising on weekend. I will also be able take 1-2 week trip to Northern Channel.

I was wondering if 1.5-2 hour drive will affect use of my boat. I am afraid that if I move the boat I will not be using it as often plus the maintenance issue. It's one thing to drive to the boat for a weekend and another to drive 3-4 round trips to fix something on the boat. Does somebody keep boat in 1-5-2 hour range? Any feedback/advice would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
A lot of people keep their boats further away than that. As long as you're willing to do it, I think it should be workable. A friend of mine at my marina lives four hours away and he's often on his boat more than I am, and my drive is only an hour or so. I could have kept my boat closer than it is, but I wanted to have the diverse choices that Buzzards Bay, another well-known cruising ground, gave me, with easy access to Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod, Nantucket, Block Island, and Newport.

#3 ·
We drive an hour and a half each way.
Up on Friday evening and home on Sunday evening.
I think spending two full days on board, you actually get more boat time.
I used to work fifteen minutes from our mooring, I do miss the easy access and the evenings on board during the week, but we have adjusted nicely.

I would think that the beauty that Georgian Bay and the North Channel have to offer would offset the longer drive. Just my feelings.

#4 ·
ichorniy - this is too funny. We too are moored in TO and while we were in town, it was just too easy to pop down for a few hours. Have since moved up to Borden and we are finding it a little difficult to make the adjustment as it is now 1.5hr drive to the boat instead of 20 mins. 1st time we did it, we forgot many things but with a little pre-planning things are getting much better.
Biggest issue though is the lack of decent cruising areas, once out of the inner harbour there is nothing much to do but sail in circles. We too are exploring Georgian Bay, availability is an issue though, at least in the Wasaga area, Things ease up further north but I don't want to just trade one 2hr commute for another. I will be curious to see what others have to say.

#5 ·
ichorniy - my slip is in the North Channel. I drive from Sudbury, which is about 1 hour and 15 minutes away, each weekend and sometimes after work to do a quick job. I don't think twice about it, the drive is great and goes by real quick. The sailing you'll get in Geogian Bay and in the North Channel is worth the drive, I wouldn't sail anywhere else at this time nor is anywhere else really available.

I do understand the grid lock you face in Toronto on fridays, maybe you can leave earlier in the day and drive back home later at night.

The problem you may find is getting a slip in Georgian Bay....but with so many power boats for sale up, slips may be more available. You're looking at Midland or Parry Sounds I gather?

Good luck.

#6 ·
Midland Area

I am considering Midland. There are 5-6 big full service marinas in that area. I don't think finding a slip should be a problem. It may take couple of year moving from place to place before we find the place we want to stay for a while. I think many boaters in that area are moving around from marina to marina. I am considering Doral Marine Resort for now. Parry Sound will add an extra hour to commute and I don't know if I want to go that far.

We get boat a Hunter 29.5 in Ohio and keep it in the marina while readying it for the trip to Toronto. We enjoy staying on the boat all weekend. It took us 5.5hour to get from Toronto to Huron Ohio so 1.5-2 hours commute should not be a big issue. It looks like it works for many other boaters too.

#7 · (Edited)
OH, to be an hour and a half from the North Channel!! A couple years ago I drove 18 hours to charter a boat there. I currently drive 40 minutes to be on my boat, and with the current flood condition in the Mississippi we don't even sail; just be on the boat! The river at best is a poor to fair sailing ground, but it's what we have! I have a cousin who used to keep his boat on Kentucky Lake, a 5 hour trip. Arthritis finally forced the sale of his boat. Next year I am retiring and taking our boat to the North Channel. Trust me, if I lived in Toronto I would not hesitate to harbor my boat 2-3 hours away in Georgian Bay. It is not only workable, but delightful, to have the boat far enough away that you stay aboard Friday evening to Sunday evening. Most of us would cheerfully trade a dozen evening sails for a weekend in a much improved sailing ground. The only reasons I can see to stay in a questionable sailing ground is if you are devoted to the club races, or the nearest great sail is far enough away that you must leave after work and drive until midnight.

#8 ·
Georgian Bay

Igor, I'll repeat my e-mail to you for the benefit of others.

We are located just north of Guelph, which puts us 1 hour from Lake Ontario, 2 hours to Lake Huron and 2 hrs. to Georgian Bay. Being 2 hours away from the boat eliminates the summer evening sails, which I miss. We've spent many summers in the Georgian Bay region and love the area, which is why we ended up here, even though it limits us to weekends and summer holidays. Georgian Bay and especially the North Channel above Maintoulin Island, is world famous for its cruising grounds with endless areas to explore and anchor out. Our typical weekends consist of sailing on Saturday for several hours and then dropping the anchor in a protected bay and spending the night in great surroundings, sometimes with only a few other boats and minimal cottages. Sunday we sail back to our marina. This summer we are headed up to the North Channel for 2 weeks of sailing, cruising and anchoring out.

One disadvantage to being in the Midland area is the amount of boats and sometimes feeling like I'm trying to sail across the 401 (the 16 lane highway through Toronto). Midland area has probably 4 - 5,000 boats and nice weekends like this past one can get busy. However, once you get past the 2 hour cruising range it thins out considerably.

Check out this website for a good listing of the marinas in that area.

An overview of marina rates for a 30-footer on southern Georgian Bay

That site also has lots of info on the area in general. Otherwise there's lots of info on this region on anchoring locations and crusing grounds from various locations and the people up there are great. I spent the first winter after we bought the boat doing research on cruising and anchoring
etc.

Best info on the area is the Ports Cruising book. Cruising Guides

#11 ·
Seamonkey, I'm sailing out of Killarney and thinking about shifting over to Little Current. Is that where you are? I want to be where there is a few more amenities at hand, any recomendations. I live in Sudbury as well.

#14 ·
Hi Bushrat, Killarney is beautiful, but you're right....not much going on there as far as amenities and I found that the little grocery is very over priced.

I'm at Boyle Marine in downtown Little Current and love it. Great owners and great club. They just put in some new docks...give Pat or Marlene a call (705) 368-2239 if you are interested. It's about the same distance as driving to Killarney from Sudbury. I'm recommending it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ray

#12 ·
Bushrat, we're headed up to Killarney on a couple of weeks. What don't you have in Killarney that's lacking. I haven't been in that area for a long time ( we used to canoe the park years ago) and went into town before and after trips. I have a recollection of wanting to be in that area in a boat and will finally be actually doing that. I don't remember what was lacking as far as facilities for boats and thought it was well equipped.

#13 ·
It's not bad for services, it's just such a small village. Even if the fish and chips are great, how many times do you want that for dinner? It would be nice to have a place where you can go about the town a bit more on shore. Killarney is a boating paradise but apart from a chipstand and general store it is doesn't have much else to offer.

#15 ·
Boyle is one I was looking at. Good to hear you like it. If I'm not mistaken you are SE of the bridge? What is it like entering if I go by boat? This is our first season with the boat, is there some areas to look out for? How about issues going through the swing bridge as well?

#16 ·
It's on the right side of the bridge, so South West. The swing bridge opens on the hour, never an issue. The current is sometimes quite strong, that is the only issue with that area, but you get used to it. Many spots to watch out for, but they are well marked with proper bouys (most of them). What kind of boat do you have?

#18 ·
Harbour View is okay, a bit small I found. Rates are about the same at all 3 marinas...Harbour View, Boyle and Spyder Bay. Boyle is a full service marina with a 60 ton lift. I can't complain about the rates after what I read on this site and the rates some people pay. I sail a Morgan Outisland 36. Good luck with your search. Come and check us out if you get a chance.

Ray

#20 ·
scottbr - Thanks for the great marina link. Pic's are fantastic too. Will check into it shortly. After looking at the big map I realized there is nothing in the Wasaga area other than water. Looks like Penetang/Midland is the way to go,
maybe we wont sell her after all.
What are the cruising waters like for depth, have heard stories of too many shoals and not enough water, as we draw 5ft that was another concern.

#21 ·
Water levels are actually up from last year by 4-6". Depths are not really a problem. We draw 4'-6", most of the channels on the inside of the islands and shoals are 6-8 ft. deep and more. I rarely run into any spot that I get nervous and have to watch the chartplotter carefully.

The Bay out of Midland and Penetang are plenty deep and out to Giants Tomb / Beckwith has lots of deep water. You do have to watch where you're going as there are areas in clear open water that have shoals below the water, not to mention the constant flow of boat traffic. Once you get out close to Giants it thins out enough that you can relax for a while. One good thing about the gas prices is the bigger boats are tending to stick closer to Midland

The inside channels are well marked and sounded and you won't have any problems. Only real issue is further north above Parry Sound, which is a days motor / sail away.

#24 · (Edited)
for the price i found bay moorings is probably the best deal in the penetang-midland area.
for my 33 i pay $2650 a year which includes -haul out/launch,unlimited pump outs,dockage,electricity and water
the marina has very nice sized docks,clean grounds,a marine store,gas dock,hotel,restauraunt/bar,private washrooms and a nice sized pool.
they have heated indoor or outdoor storage,on site services etc.
there is a beach next door to the marina,grocery store,beer store,lcbo,canadian tire are all 5 minutes away.
heres a pic of my dock so you get an idea.

phone number there is (705)549-6958.best person to speak with is amanda and the early fall is the best time to shop for a slip.
b.t.w-when i joined the marina they had the same deal as doral. you would have to ask if that still exists.

#25 ·
Sigh... We're thinking of doing the same thing next year. I'm in the Outer Harbour Marina in Toronto (26 footer) and will probably move to Georgian Bay next year or the year after. There's just not enough sailing/exploring for the kids on lake Ontario. I'll probably winter over in the OHM and then move in the spring... or next.
We live in Richmond Hill so if we time it right, the 2hr drive will be worth it

Tom

#26 ·
Hey Voodoo, I recognize that dock !! My mast is just up and to the left, slip 223. I will second Baymoorings as being an excellent marina. Amanda is second to none and is the heart of the marina.

One thing I don't get, is the graduated fees. My 33 is $ 2,900 and is probaby a further walk from the parking lot than you at 501.

Surftom, there's lots of things for the kids in this area. You can sail to Giants Tomb or Beckwith and both have awesome, clean, clear water beaches that you don't find in Lake Ontario and are within 2-3 hour sail or motor of our marina. Beausoleil Island, 1 - 1.5 hour sail / motor ( depending on the wind I did over 8 knots steady SOG one evening over to there) is a National Park and had hiking trails, small Interpretive Centre, playground or just space to get out and get around.

There's lots of areas close by or further that are great for anchoring out overnight. A good solid day sail / motor is Kilbear Provincial Park where you can anchor and use the park for a day fee and has lots of beach, hiking trails and a large new Interpretive Centre.

#27 ·
Slight sidebar,

I'm STILL looking for a boat and thought that Georgian Bay would be a great place for cruising but a friend told me that you would need at least a 30' for the bay due to choppiness etc., yet I seem to see some slightly smaller boats in the pics, what exactly would be required?(bare minimum)

#33 · (Edited)
i would say to navigate most of the islands you would want to be in at least a 27 foot boat with an inboard or bigger.inboard is a must.
i sailed georgian bay for 5 years in a mirage 24 with an outboard and on many occasions it got nasty.in the bay on the other side of giant tomb you can get into some rollers that will toss a small boat around like a salad.

#28 ·
There are a lot of boats <30' LOA that would work up there. You really should start your own thread though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.