SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 36 vs. Islander Freeport 36
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I'm a 1981 Freeport 36 owner, and what rcarr says is true about the boat. I sailed it down to San Diego from San Francisco shortly after purchasing it (in SF), and they boat handled the wind and water conditions just fine. I find that it can generally stay up with most boats of its size, and has a pretty comfortable ride even in rougher conditions. Mast is keel stepped. This boat is a cruiser, but moves good when you need it to. The engine is located low below the salon floor, and that helps a lot with a low center of gravity...and there is an actual bilge below the engine compartment. The boat was designed with plenty of storage space (and carries loads well), and is very livable for two people...especially couples. While it is not great at backing up (probably because of the large skeg mounted rudder), it does steer very good in most conditions...making it a pleasure for the helmsman. I would say that the biggest draw back to this boat are the sleeping accommodations (because it was designed for couples), so if you're going to have a crew of more than three, this might not be the boat for you. The interior layout is very nice, with good teak work everywhere except in the forward head which is mostly fiberglass...which makes perfect sense for that area. Some people do not like the idea of a forward head (thinking it's not a good place in rougher conditions), but the toilet is really located closer to where many boat's toilets are located anyway. The head is very roomy, and two people could use it at the same time. The door to the anchor locker is located on the forward wall in the head, and that also makes perfect sense in case of a leak from the locker...it's also very easy to get to the locker. No boat is perfect, but this boat works for me. I may have some pictures, and layout plans posted to this site that can show you more about this boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook