SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Charging . . . again !!
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008

MrSeaDragon is on a distinguished road
Battery Charging . . . again !!

Hi, I'm a bit of a novice and have been trying to get my head around what I should do for a new battery setup on my Compass 29 (yes I'm in Australia !).

I've been reading some very interesting posts about VSRs and battery combiners and shuch like, and its finally sinking in, but there is still one thing I haven't figred out yet. In fact, I haven't even seen any info on it, so maybe its a non-issue. Hopefully the experts can help.

Assumption: a charging source (lets keep it simple and make it one charging source), reduces its output dependant on the charge (voltage ?) in the battery being charged. This is good for battery life.

Hypothetical: I have a 1 smallish starting battery and 1 largish house battery bank. I'm out for the weekend and have run my house bank down very low over night powering the ESKY My starting battery is all but fully charged as its only started the engine once on the way out. I start the engine in the morning and the alternator kicks in.

Questions : Regardless of how my batteries are combined the alternator will at some point be charging 1 almost full battery and 1 almost empty battery bank, so what charge level (voltage?) does it use to determine its output ?

Taking this to the nth degree, would it be possible/better to have a regulator/controler for each battery bank, rather than for each charging source ?

All throughts appreciated.

Kind regards,
Greg.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook