SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Any knowledge on the Hunter 18?

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  h16Sailor 
#1 ·
Found one for sale in my area, looks pretty good, price is ok (more expensive than I'd like, but it's through a yacht dealer, so at least they've checked it over). I know it has a shoal draft winged keel, but nothing else, really. They are asking about $3400 for the boat w/trailer, no motor.

How does it sail? I'm not expecting a racer, just a good, solid 1st boat my wife and I can enjoy on the weekend.

Can a wimpy little 4-cyl S-10 tow it?

Thanks in advance!!

#4 ·
Figure the trailer weighs at least another 1000 lbs., so you're probably looking at 2600-3000 lbs. for the boat rigged and equipped.

#5 ·
An S-10 should tow upwards of 5K lbs with no real issues......Of course assuming the 4.3 V6, not the 2.4L I4. The latter will pull 5K lbs, don't ask me how I know this, but you will not want to go very far, nor will you be fast!

Otherwise, if the price is right etc, should be a good boat, tow vehicle mix for your intent and purpose.

Marty

#6 ·
he says he has the 4-cylinder in his OP.

Can a wimpy little 4-cyl S-10 tow it?

#7 ·
Oooook, so it is teh 4cyl. I guess I just saw the S10 part! If an auto, those are usually a bit gutless from experience, as the tranny uses some 30HP to operate, if a manual, while rated lower, usually has a bit more HP to the rear wheels, tows way better from my experience with S10's. Up to 3000 lbs or so is not too bad. Especially since the OP appears to be in Florida per some previous posts. So overall flat land as compared to me granted at sea level, but with upwards of 20+% grades off of puget sound, lk washington etc, one needs a bit more torque, and gears to get things going.

Any way, if the boat is 1600, say a trailer at 600-800 for a typical boat trailer of that size, should be under 2500 lbs overall, on the upper end of a 4 cyl, but doable in flat land area's like Fl.

marty

#8 ·
I have no Knowledge of this boat try Hunter Owners.com for owners sailing production sailboats
I have ridden on the catalina 16 and hunter 16 similar boats
ok this boat appears somewhat similar to my Catalina 22, great boat which is just about all my wife, daughter and I need. it does get a little cramped after 3 days.

If you are buying or seriously looking at a dealer's boat ask them to hook it up and pull it around the block. the dealers in my area might want to drive my truck around the block or they would want a written agreement 'I'll buy it if I wreck it' but, they want to sell a boat and should work with you as this is a legimate concern (will my current vehicle pull it).
about the boat dealer 'they checked it over' I think they made a benifitial trade for them and it was worth what they 'paid'. This doesn't mean its sound or without problems. Some dealers I have encountered float their boat with your money.
your going to need a motor if you lake sail. One lake i sail on I must motor out away from the trees. big debate about the need of a motor but i personally must have a motor. I use it about 30 minutes a trip 15 out & 15 back in.

fyi: my wife loves the Catalina
Best of luck Jody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.