SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't bring banana-flavoured oatmeal aboard...
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Andre-

Only an idiot would think I'm talking about modern grocery stores or food retail outlets. By the time bananas get to the domestic supply stores, they've been through several stages of packing and repacking, since I seriously doubt they're harvested in the cute little plastic bags that you find the bunches in at the store. During that process, any spiders that may have been hiding in the bunches have either been killed or decided to head for places that weren't moving and much quieter.
Dog, you're probbly over-reacting with the "several stages of packing and repacking" bit.. Bananas bruise easily and I've not heard of anyone repacking them more than once (into the plastic bags) after they've left the plantation in a box.

Down here (2500 miles from the nearest plantation!) they're picked green, loaded onto a truck and kept in a big warehouse in cold storage. When needed in the store, they're artificially ripened (the green-on-the-outside-rotten-on-the-inside look) and put on the shelves the same day.

I'm guessing any spiders in the bunch will either freeze to death or get seriously bored and move on to the apple bin long before they need worry about the noise!..