SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prop/Prop-Shaft Key Size?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008

Skipaway is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. Here’s an update: I drove to the big city today and went to a referred engine place; they sent me to a prop place; they said nobody uses 3/4” props anymore, but gave me some SS cotter pins, told me that I needed 3/16” key stock in SS or bronze and sent me to an industrial supply place; finally $2.19 for 1 foot of 3/16” SS key stock. 160 miles RT @ 30mpg x $4.99999 diesel = $26.67 for a $2 part.

Fortunatley I amortized the fuel cost: to complete my trip I stopped by WM for a new fuel filter (I’ll tag this info on to the WM thread, but the $35 R12T at NAPA cost $23 at WM, except WM didn’t have it in stock), and ended up buying a wet suit; at this point I’ll save money on fuel by not shoppping further and might be able to do more than sit on the dock watching a diver. Hey, my wife bitches about how much I spend so, when no one is interrupting, I love to ramble.

Another thought, after reading Rockter’s’s post, is beaching the boat on a high tide an alternative to under water repair? - I’ll post more questions on that in another thread (“Using the tides for bottom work”), however I would need very favorable winds to get out of the marina, and back if repair doesn’t work.
Charlie Lincoln • Cathlamet, WA • Islander 28 #108
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook