SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your Morgan?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
Morgan 36T One-Ton IOR racer

I've got one of the old race horses. Pinched transom so small I can barely get her name and hailing port. Not quite standing headroom. (I'm 6'0"). Not much in the way of accommodations, but I'm slowly fixing that. Right now I've got the interior pretty much gutted.

One thing about her...she can still show her transom to some of the modern boats when the wind picks up. I sit in the cockpit and laugh when the wind gets to 15 knots and all of the modern boats start furling their sails, taking reefs, etc. (Of course, we're talking about intrepid Jacksonville sailors who are afraid of heeling over.)

Anyway, like all of Charley's boats, she's built like a brick outhouse. Yeah, she had blister problems, but then, every boat of her vintage did.

Since the budget for her refit is tight, it's taking me a lot of time. When I'm finally finished, though, she should be good to do a little 'friendly' racing or a week's cruise here and there. I'm adding a few things to make her more comfortable and usable like refrigeration to replace the huge, but nearly uninsulated ice box, a two burner propane cook top to replace the smelly alcohol stove-oven (which also weighed a ton!), and maybe even air conditioning for when she's tied up at a dock somewhere. (Budget...).

Anyway, she's fun to sail, easy to balance, tracks well, and doesn't care how hard its blowing (within reason...20 knots is okay by me).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1841 very small.jpg (65.9 KB, 217 views)