SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learning to ... sleep?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008

Grotius is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the further replies. I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner; I've been busy studying beach geography (translation: vacationing) here in Hawaii. I'm here for a couple of weeks, and if nothing else I hope to get the family to try a little beach-boat sailing. Er, if the wind ever drops below 25 knots, that is. But maybe I should also ask around and see if we could do a captained charter here for a day. Er, if the wind ever drops below 25 knots, that is.

Sailingdog, your snoring story made me chuckle, and it was reassuring too -- it's good to hear of a fellow snorer who is an accomplished bareboat cruiser. For what it's worth, I like the idea of sleeping in the cockpit.

Kymbie, I like the sleep-at-marina idea too. Again, maybe that's something I could look into while I'm here in the Aloha state.

TommyT, thanks for looking into ASA 114 courses in the north. Hmm. We do usually take one or two warm-weather vacations a year, so if I want a formal 114 course, I guess I'll have to do it during a holiday. Like the one I'm currently on.
Quote:
If that does not work, I am sure you could do a captained charter for about the same costs almost anywhere, get your family out on the boat, sleep on board, and find out if you will forever single hand.
Heh, that sums it up well. Actually, I think at least one of my kids will love sailing, but I suppose I can't rely on kids to serve as crew in the long term, as they grow up and go to college and get married and all that. On the other hand, some economist once reminded us: in the long term we're all dead, so carpe diem. My wife hates boats, but my brother- and sister-in-law both love to sail, so maybe there's hope yet.

Anyway, thank you for all the replies.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook