SailNet Community - View Single Post - coastal cruiser for me?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008

chsjohn is on a distinguished road
coastal cruiser for me?

Ok, I'm new to the boards and the only sailing I've ever done was racing Lasers when I was younger. I have spent a lot of time on the water (Licensed Master) running powerboats of various types. Please don't hold that against me!!

I've been doing a lot of research and reading. I'd like to find a good all around sort of boat. I live in Charleston, SC.

1. 20k to 40k

2. 27 to 32 feet. Enough room for a family of three to cruise or a group of 6-8 for daysailig. I'm 5'-11", 190lbs and the rest of my crew are pretty small.

3. Part floating condo (the abilty to install a/c for use at the dock would be nice). Cocktails in the slip watching the sun go down.

4. Quality construction. I would think Sabre, Tartan, C&C or CS's would be what I'm looking at?? I think I'm capable of doing just about any maintenance that would be required, but I don't want to spend all my time working instead of sailing.

5. Good motoring abilty (good sized diesel, +4 hp per ton). I'm sure a lot of time will be spent making weekend trips on the ICW.

6. Don't think I'll ever do any real blue water, mostly East coast cruising with maybe a trip over to the Bahamas.

Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook