SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulet
Thread: Gulet
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008
zazman

zazman is on a distinguished road
Gulets,....I get it!

I am in the same boat! Sorry about the feeble stab at for the humor but I couldn't resist. I am looking to buy a 18 meter Gulet Ketch and there are quite a few on the market in Turkey, Croatia, Cyprus and throughout the Med. For what I could get stateside in California it makes a lot of sense and I seen at least one in the Marina Del Rey Harbor. I heard of a guy out of La Paz BCS, Mexico using them traditionally as charter vessels too. To the question of their ability to cross the Atlantic or Pacific safely depends on a lot of things as you know. Mainly when you leave. I searched for others who have crossed the Atlantic and heard of a 22 meter crossing to New York. You can find Gulets usually have full keels and are safely crossing the Med and the Sea of Cortez which is at times a harsh sailing environment. Personally my family plans to cruise from California, to Mexico, South America, through Panama, to the Carribean and either make a shot to Bermuda, then Azores, Gibraltar then to the Med. The other option is to ship the Gulet across the Atlantic it indeed I find the Gulet too risky for my family. We will be leaving in 2012 when the young one can walk and talk. I will continue to investigate this and if you find some information please let me know. I do agree however, bang for your buck as well as comfort start becoming more important as we et a little older and the Gulet seems like a good idea. When your done cruising you can charter it out too. It would make a great live aboard if gutted and reconfigured from 4 or 6 cabins to 3. This I have heard can be done easily. Please keep me informed of you get any info on blue water cruising with a Gulet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook