SailNet Community - View Single Post - Loud Squeal
Thread: Loud Squeal
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I found out what to use if the shaft is scored; Use 280 wet emery. The wet shouldn't be a problem when I pull the packing gland since the shaft will be leaking water. LOL! My real hope is that it isn't the front or rear bearings in the transmission. That will be a real bummer. The way to test it is put the shift lever in forward, If it squeals it is the front bearing (which mine does) and if in reverse it is the rear bearing ( which I don't remember if it does but will find out when I return to the boat on Weds). I did check the transmission fluid and it is good. What gets my goat is the engine has only 100 hours on it. This shouldn't be happening!
Since I bought this boat 6 weeks ago, I have had some major problems with her. I don't know why the sea Gods are so mad at me. First the engine was overheating. Found out Yammar had a recall on the engine water cooler mixing manifold. So I got that fix. Next, the stereo went out and now Sony has it and I should hear from them this week. The air conditioner had a leak in the cooling manifold. This cause the bottom half of the Marine Air to corrode. This was a manufacture defect. I got the AC fixed enough to work but only cools the boat to 80 degrees during the day. 1/3 of the evaporating cooling fins are gone. I am in a big fight with Marine Air and the extended warranty people to replace the whole thing. Marine Air, I was shocked they won't honor their warranty because of boat transfer ownership. My beef with them is this problem happened before I bought the boat and it is a manufacture defect that the previous owners didn't catch nor did my surveryor. Lastly my GPS antenna quit working due to a cut in the wire where it goes into the stern rail. So I ordered a new wire from Raymarine. I cannot find where to buy the little rubber O-ring that fits into the stern rail hole for the old one is shot. Ugggg...... OK I am done ranting!
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 07-13-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook