SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Packet Cat owners??
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008

jctoucan is on a distinguished road
Hi David
We just bought a Packet Cat and brought her up from NC to RI. We love the livability, the manueverability with the twin engines(and the "back-up" they provide as our port engine overheated on the first day-fresh water pump- and we had to go 40 miles on one engine). They are definitely motorsailers, if the wind was less than 8 knots, we would motor sail. yesterday,just sailing, we were doing 7 1/2 knots downwind with 20k apparent, 6k on a close haul w/12-15k of wind( and 5 ft waves off our beam). We had an Iroquois for 10 years which we loved but it fell far short of comfort. It sailed about 2 knots faster but because it was light, any type of head seas would sometimes stop it dead in its track. the only "barge effect" we experienced was in a thunderstorm with 50k gusts, 40k sustained and short, choppy seas head-on; we made 2 knots in 1 hour. We were babying the port engine, though, as we were heading to get our new water pump. Our fuel consumption was 3/4 gallon/hour when motorsailing(12k of wind downwind) on a 24 hour trip up the NJ coast and 1.25 gallons/hour on a stretch with no wind, some current and seas against us, and both engines at 2400rpms. Sorry I can't give you more detailed info about tacking angle or beam reach since the boat is still new to us. I agree with all of Dick M.'s comments; during that thunderstorm I felt very safe on the boat. The quality is unbelievable and there is tons of storage(but lots of things on the boat=slower performance). We looked at Dick's boat for sale and it's very clean, showing an owner who cares. We just found a newer one with more extras. Hope this helps; we plan to be owners for awhile.
Judy D.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook