SailNet Community - View Single Post - building a small racing sloop
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
building a small racing sloop

It''ll be my first project. I''ve got my first boat. I''ve also been somehow goaded into teaching kids to sail in Sabots next year, and in the meantime saw some of the older kids playing in the Lasers, and that looked like a hoot. They are very active at the 2 local marinas.

I was going to build a small pram for my boat, but realized that even at only 6''8" she''s still too big to fit on Josie, and building a boat I wont use would just be... disheartening at the least.

If I build a laser or similar size boat I can probibly store it for free right at the docks, (it''s good to sail with the Chandlery owner for so MANY reasons )

The basic idea was to put together something that would add diversity to my sailing experience. I crew on big boats, single hand my Josie, who is beutifull, but not exactly the fastest tortouse in the desert. :-\ so a small zippy boat that I could rush around the harbor, flip trying to go fast, and possibly take out for the Wed night races (hey there''s some maniac who does SantaBarbra to Anacapa and back (40nm) in/on one pretty regularly)

So, I''m down with simple, as long as it''s simple, and fun/fast to sail. What suggestions do you have?

By the way, all the kayaks I''ve seen have been traditional planked construction... I''m not sure I''m up to that yet. You know of a good kit thats simple for a beginner? A kayak could be a fun diversion

Thanks.

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook