SailNet Community - View Single Post - Racer / Cruiser
Thread: Racer / Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
The Saber is marginal for PHRF (100-105). Kids are small, 7&4 but really like the NY40 (I think you're the one that first mentioned it to me), lots of boat for the money, but can't find one in fresh water. (not manditory, but prefered) Money wise call it < 200K.

Forgot to mention MUST have wheel steering. That is one of my only issues with some of the J boats.
T34C,

Yeah, I seem to recall we had a discussion about them. My experience with the NY40 amounts to racing against them in mixed PHRF fleets, and looking them over when hauled out. They are definitely fairly fast boats for their era, but I seem to recall they are heavily crewed for competitive racing -- a lot of meat on the rail and the foredeck. If you're serious about them, I'd ask JeffH for his thoughts.

If you don't mind the +100 rating, my vote would be for the Sabre 38 as the best all-round compromise. But I come from the perspective that all-round sailing ability and family comfort trump absolute speed. But if you don't care about either, then Catalina's the way to go.

Most of the J-Boats with the "C" designation have a wheel, as do most of the larger decimeter boats beyond the J-105.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook