SailNet Community - View Single Post - Product Reviews
Thread: Product Reviews
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up TackTick Sail Instruments

I purchased these this winter to replace my boats original equipment and installed while in storage. The instruments I selected are:
  • T101 Wind system with analogue display
  • T103 Speed/Depth "Triducer" with Hull transmitter
  • T909 Compass
Overall the instruments were very easy to install. Not having to run wires was a real treat, but even better is the ability to relocate the different displays to my liking (I often leave 1 below, and interchange the other two at the pedestal or bulkhead depending on whether "racing" or cruising, and who is responsible for what on the boat).

Concerns:
  • Hull "triducer" is a little bigger (2in diameter), and it is always a little frightening to drill a bigger hole in the hull for me.
  • Wires for the Compass and Triducer were a little short. I had to work hard to find a location for the Wireless Transmitter that met all the criteria the instruction called for and still reached both pieces. It would be nice if TackTick would provide a little longer wire for each.
  • Instructions for installation of the Hull Transmitter were poor. I still don't know if there is a battery, but I assume so.
Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase these again. The price is a little steep, but if you need to replace more than one major instrument, it is reasonable.

Be sure to remove the displays and store them below when not onboard, since they are easy to "lift" out of their mount.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook