SailNet Community - View Single Post - Product Reviews
Thread: Product Reviews
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The TackTick hull transmitter and NMEA 0183 interface seem to have internal batteries of an unknown size. I know this since I can shut down my electronics breaker and the instruments will continue to function, after a short series of warning beeps.

I chose to not use the quick release mounts, preferring to permanently mount them to a port, which acts as an instrument panel on my boat. The port still functions as a port and can be opened to pass things from the galley to the cockpit in bad weather without opening the companionway, and used for ventilation at anchor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padean View Post
I purchased these this winter to replace my boats original equipment and installed while in storage. The instruments I selected are:
  • T101 Wind system with analogue display
  • T103 Speed/Depth "Triducer" with Hull transmitter
  • T909 Compass
Overall the instruments were very easy to install. Not having to run wires was a real treat, but even better is the ability to relocate the different displays to my liking (I often leave 1 below, and interchange the other two at the pedestal or bulkhead depending on whether "racing" or cruising, and who is responsible for what on the boat).

Concerns:
  • Hull "triducer" is a little bigger (2in diameter), and it is always a little frightening to drill a bigger hole in the hull for me.
  • Wires for the Compass and Triducer were a little short. I had to work hard to find a location for the Wireless Transmitter that met all the criteria the instruction called for and still reached both pieces. It would be nice if TackTick would provide a little longer wire for each.
  • Instructions for installation of the Hull Transmitter were poor. I still don't know if there is a battery, but I assume so.
Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase these again. The price is a little steep, but if you need to replace more than one major instrument, it is reasonable.

Be sure to remove the displays and store them below when not onboard, since they are easy to "lift" out of their mount.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook