SailNet Community - View Single Post - If you don't know how to anchor... DON'T !!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008

nk235 is on a distinguished road
I posted my observation of this somewhere in another forum but a couple of weekends ago I was anchored in a pretty popular spot in LI sound with boats from all over the map. Gets pretty crowded during weekends. I can't tell you how many 35+ feet searays I saw throw over what looked like a 7lb danforth with all rope rode and put maybe two - one scope. Plus they also rafted 2 other boats up to them and spent the night! Luckily the two nights I was there it was dead calm out but since then I always make sure to pick my spot as far upwind from where the storms usually blow out of so I don't have to worry about these people. I also invested a few hundred bucks in proper and even oversized ground tackle. Too bad other people don't do this.

But man if that happened to my boat - having some fool drag into it I wouldn't be able to take it too well. Its one thing if it happens in a storm or adverse conditions but in normal weather.... I don't think I would be getting my frustrations out on a message board....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook