Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Needham, MA
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Looking for advice on New England cruise in August
I'm planning for my first significant coastal cruise. Amulet, my O'Day 27, is out of West Island (Buzzards Bay) and we will have about a week in August (not sure exactly how long yet but likely 7-10 days). My wife & I have cruised Buzzards Bay for several years now but never done much more than one or two night trips to the Vineyard or Cape. I've come up with two options for an itinerary:
1) Go south and west, towards Montauk or somewhere else in eastern long island, see how far we can get, come back by way of Block Island, Newport, Westport, visit Cuttyhunk and maybe the Vineyard on the way back.
2) More ambitiously, head up to Maine and cruise mid coast Maine for a week (Boothbay and Penobscot Bay, perhaps?). I've heard so many great things about it, but know less about the specifics of where to go. Given the time constraints, and because I don't plan on an offshore overnight sail to get there I would probably need to bring the boat up the coast the weekend before over an agressive 2-3 days, find a place to leave it, return to work for the week, then get back up to the boat for the week. Same (except in reverse) on the way home.
A few comments:
- The boat is solid but equipment is rudimentary (outboard 12hp motor, handheld gps, handheld VHF, inflatable dinghy w no motor (oars only), danforth anchor with 20' chain, icebox, hank-on jib, port potti, no autopilot). I will get a radar reflector.
- Would like to get to some more remote, uncrowded places (hence Maine), OTOH the admiral would prefer not to be aboard in our rather spartan accomodations for the whole week - 1-2 nights in a B&B would be much appreciated.
- I have limited experience anchoring, though I have read a reasonable amount about it. I'd like to get more experience and will probably invest in more chain before the trip.
My feeling is that Maine is probably not going to happen this year given the time constraints, but I'd like to get some comments on these options and suggestions on either of the itineraries. Thanks!