SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Nav Lights for inflatable dinghy's...WTH!!!!

23K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  T37Chef 
#1 ·
I have a 10' Avon. I have a set of LED nav lights for it.

The white was a no brainer...

but may I ask when are the inflatable manufacturer's going to incorporate a place to put them on the bow of the damn thing?????!!!!:mad:

So I am left having to jerry rig something on my $1000 + boat...that is going to look like xxx...come on...really, this cant be. :rolleyes:

Okay...I feel a little better now:confused:

There must be a better way?????

#2 ·
If your dinghy is under seven meters and running at under seven knots, you don't need navigation lights, and can use a single all-around white light instead.

#8 ·
You might try something like this:

Portable LED Bow Light

They make both a bow version and stern version with a mount designed for inflatables. You then use epoxy to glue the mount down I believe.
Yup, thats what I have...thanks...But my point being that if you spend mucho denero on these inflatables, don't you think they could incorporate a bow light or at least a place to secure one, like they do (or try to do) for the oars????

#10 ·
Chef,
This reminds me of the old shoulder harnesses in American cars when shoulder harnesses first became a required item. When not in use you were supposed to somehow re-stow them under a clip above the door and when in use they cut right across your neck regardless of your height. Apparently the manufacturers didn't think anybody was actually going to use them. When you bought this boat, did you ask for the marine version?:D

#11 ·
Sway-

They sold him the Chesapeake version... the real bluewater version has the nav lights and a battery box as part of the kit.:)

#20 ·
You are correct:

If your power-driven vessel is less than 23 feet/7 meters in length and its maximum speed cannot exceed 7 knots, then it may display an all-round white light, and if practicable, sidelights instead of the lights prescribed previously. (For International Rules only)

How you can be sure of that, I don't know.

#22 ·
Are you saying that if you used a Torqueedo, you wouldn't need nav lights??? I don't think so.

#27 ·
To clarify what I was originally trying to say...

I think it is pathetic and unacceptable that these inflatable manufactures, especially one like Avon, do not have the forward thinking to add a useful and proper navigation light support/bracket or a light itself!!!!

I am about to write Avon and tell them just what I think about their inability to even offer it as a option. They could easily, for a small percentage of what the boat cost to build, add either a attachment point for one of those lights like above, or they could install a bow light right on the thing with the ability to easily change out the batteries.

Do they think people don't operate these at night???????? Screw the rules...I want to be seem and identified by others (even if I have joked otherwise in other threads) with a red/green bow light and white all around at the stern that looks like more than an afterthought POS.

Okay, back to regular programming :)

#28 ·
An interesting observation...

My boat is under 7m and my motor pushes it at maybe 5 kts, so I can use an all around while motoring unless under state jurisdiction. Then if I use the sails or scull to move silently I can just use a flashlight as needed, but if I crank up the motor, which provides an audible cue that I am moving about, I have to have proper nav lights. I think the narrow part of the Pamlico, which is fast becoming my favorite haunt, is subject to state regs. I was planning to get lights anyway, but its an interesting note.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.