SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring Technique ....!
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Halekai...nice write up but I also disagree with the 80% power rule and the length of chain rule.
I have found that some anchors in SOME bottoms need to just work themselves into the bottom slowly rather than being dragged. I have found that the CQR in particular and Delta's to a lesser extent benefit from some time with light loads on them to bury and set properly particularly in mud or muddy sand bottoms. For years I followed the back down hard advice with my CQR until I learned that all it was doing was giving me a lot of unnecessary exercise. Setting the anchor for me means making sure to snub it at about 1/3 scope to insure it grabs...then letting out full scope to allow it to set naturally. The only time I use the engine is when it is dead calm and I need to put on a light load to get the initial set. I have no objection to a test "haul" in reverse, but I think it should be delayed unless conditions are deteriorating and you need to be sure now. I do keep an anchor watch for at least 1 hour after setting.

While I carry a full chain rode on my primary, I would note that Fortress explicitly states that only 6 ft. of chain is advised with their anchors in 25 ft. of water or less. Danforth recommends 8ft. with their 100lb. anchor. So...fluke type anchors may not benefit from excessive chain. For other types I think at least a boat length is needed.

So...there's a bit of difference of opinion but by and large if everyone followed your instructions, we'd be way better off than with what one can see in almost any anchorage daily!